What is Mojo-Zen?

My photo
Mojo-Zen is the collected ramblings of zoologist and cultural explorer, Will Benson.

Thursday 14 October 2010

Hippos, bush camps and a whole lot of feathers

You'll be pleased to read that there have been no more 'near misses' with lions or snakes since I last wrote, and apart from the heat which has racked up to a toasty 47 degrees C, all is continuing well.
The potential dangers of the bush became even more apparent last night, when news came to us over the radio that one of the road workers in the park had been charged by an elephant, and then on his escape into a nearby lagoon was grabbed by a crocodile - luckily he broke free and was in a conscious state when he came via us to the hospital late last night. A striking reminder of the power of the wildlife that surrounds me here, which is useful to remember when I open my door to elephants right outside my room in the morning, like I did yesterday.

At the beginning of the week I headed to Chindeni bush camp to film a fishing party of yellow billed, saddle-billed and maribu stalks and pelicans that were in the lagoon next to the camp; unfortunately by the time I'd made the 3 hour drive to the camp the birds had left, after one was grabbed by a croc. Nonetheless I enjoyed a great stay at the amazing camp, soaking up the incredible sunrise over the lagoon (above), and relishing the chance to be sleeping under canvass (albeit a very very hot tent).


My trip wasn't completely wasted, and I used my time down at the camp to film the whopping raft of hippos (273 in total, according to my driver, Kelvin) that were fighting, yawning, farting and honk-honking in the afternoon sun just along from the camp.


On our return from Chindeni, we stopped to pick up staff and supplies from Chamilandu camp, about 30 km up river. Chamilandu's manager Zillah and I then drove back with the ever smiling Malenga on the back of the land rover, supporting a very fine look in Zillah's sunglasses and his baseball cap - he's clearly the king of cool!


On the subject of cool, the head guide here at Mfuwe Lodge, Peter Zulu, is somewhat of a local hero. When I'm out on safari with him, other vehicles will often stop for the guides to explain to their guests how Peter is the most important man in the area, signified by his AMAZING pith helmet adorned with the various feathers that he's found in the Luangwa Valley. As well as being our head guide, and one of the oldest serving guides in Zambia (he's been guiding for nearly 40 years), Peter is also the chief of the Mfuwe area, and is known accordingly as Peter 'Mambwe', meaning head man.

No comments:

Post a Comment