What is Mojo-Zen?

My photo
Mojo-Zen is the collected ramblings of zoologist and cultural explorer, Will Benson.

Saturday 22 May 2010

A wise man once said...

Many years ago, a wise man named Aristotle (probably Big-A to his mates) stated that, "nature does nothing uselessly" - and how right he was. As a zoologist I have a fascination to try and work out what exactly are the 'uses' of the multitude of shapes, colors and forms that we see around us.

I'll be mocked by my 'cooler' peers for posting this here (apparently snails are not sexy), but this snail species which I studied in Uganda for my undergraduate thesis are a brilliant example of what Aristotle was getting at: One species that has evolved multiple color forms in order to be cryptic in their respective environments - clever stuff.

I'm currently in the process (although it's taken two years so far) of writing up my work on the polymorphism of this species with the aim of getting it published. It's a collaborative work between myself, Charlie Hawker, Hazel Smith, and our great project supervisor Professor John Allen. Further writings on these psychedelic snails can be found here on John's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment