What is Mojo-Zen?

My photo
Mojo-Zen is the collected ramblings of zoologist and cultural explorer, Will Benson.

Friday 17 September 2010

To Chamilandu and back

Another week of filming, wildlife spotting, editing and adventuring, in the bag. Last weekend I spent an amazing few days at the remote bush camp of Chamilandu, shared with Gilly (Gilbert) the guide, who works out of the camp, Zillah the bush camp manager, and the handful of staff who cook the food and run the camp.
The view of the Luangwa River at camp Chamilandu

My days were spent filming Gilly as he guided in the surrounding bush, and joking about with Malenga (the youngest of the trainee guides) as he watched my back for approaching elephants whilst I had my eyes intently glued to the view-finder of my camera.

Gilly and David the scout, on walking safari from Chamilandu

My nights were spent laughing with the incredibly funny staff, feasting on the incredible food cooked by the bush-cooks, and sharing stories with Zillah, Gilly and the guests at our candle lit table in a clearing by the camp. I even managed to stay for one of my nights in one of the three luxury stilted chalets at the camp, awakening to a beautiful sun-rise over the Luangwa River from my four-poster bed.The morning view at Chamilandu camp, which unfortunately I don't get every morning

Guide Andrew and the young Malenga on the drive back from Chamilandu.

A little staff outing with hosts Kat and Lucy, Shelly (in sling), and old-timer Ian

I get to meet loads of new faces here as guests come and go, but some guests get particularly interested in my work here and often specifically invite me to join them on their game drives and walking safaris. Two such guests are Chris and Cindy Hornaman (yes you guessed it, they're American) who have stayed at the lodge many times before, and return regularly as part of Chris's work as a photographer (18 times Wildlife Photographer of the Year semi-finalist, and you can check out his website here). They invited me to join them on a special all day drive that they organised to the north of the park; it was a fantastic drive, and gave me a chance to film loads of great wildlife, including a 500 strong herd of buffalo and the endemic Cookson's wildebeest, both seldom seen in the south of the valley.

Our mid-day picnic on our all day drive to the north of the park

The last few buffaloes, after 400 or so stampeeded past us

Below is a short video I've been editing on the scavengers that set to work on a dead elephant that was found next to the river....I hope you enjoy!

Vultures feasting on an elephant carcass from Will Benson on Vimeo.

As is the circle of life in the natural world, when one animal dies, a host of other animals line up to feed themselves. This short clip shows the scavengers coming to feast on the carcass of an elephant that died next to the Luagwa River in Zambia's South Luangwa National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment